Abbey Information, Contact, and Official Statements
Official Statement of December 9, 2013 : Release of Names of Monks Who Likely Have Offended Against Minors
Saint John’s Abbey voluntarily is releasing the names of current and former monks who likely have offended against minors. Most of the names previously have been made public. The list includes 18 names: nine monks who are living at Saint John's Abbey under supervised safety plans, seven monks who are deceased and two men who have been dispensed from their religious vows and no longer are connected to the Abbey.
The claims against each of those named were reviewed either by the Abbey’s External Review Board or by the Abbot himself. In each case, it was determined that there was sufficient evidence to include the person on the list. In some cases, however, all the facts could not be completely substantiated. Claims against some of those named on the list, for example, were not brought to the Abbey’s attention for decades after the accused monk’s death. It is in several of these cases where the Abbot made the determination to include the name of the monk on the list despite the lack of corroborating evidence.
The External Review Board was created in 2003. The seven-member panel includes those who have expertise in the treatment of sexual abuse of minors, judges, attorneys and current and former members of law enforcement. In addition, the Board consistently has included a survivor of sexual abuse. The Board is charged with evaluating allegations of sexual abuse against members of the Abbey and making recommendations for action to the Abbot, as well as conducting annual reviews of individual monks’ safety plans.
“This list reflects our best efforts to identify those who likely have offended against minors,” said Brother Aelred Senna, OSB, spokesperson for the Abbey. “That task often is complicated by the passage of time, the deaths of some of those involved and sometimes incomplete accounts of the past. Even so, we are including all 18 names to provide as complete of a list as we can to acknowledge the pain suffered by victims. This list underscores our commitment to being transparent in our policies and procedures for dealing with allegations of abuse.
"Our commitment is reflected in the policies and procedures implemented over the past decade, particularly the External Review Board. This Board gives victims the assurance that allegations of abuse against minors will be investigated objectively, sensitively and thoroughly," said Brother Aelred.
† = deceased
* = no longer a monk of Saint John’s
For more information on Saint John’s Abbey’s policies and procedures regarding response to sexual abuse, see the Safe Environment section of this web site.
Saint John's Abbey Response to Lawsuit Filed November 19, 2013
We are saddened to hear of allegations of misconduct by a former member of our monastic community who left Saint John's in 2011. We have not had the opportunity to review the lawsuit and cannot comment on the specifics of the case.
As a community, Saint John's holds any form of sexual abuse to be morally reprehensible and a violation of our vow to a celibate and chaste life committed to mutual respect among all persons. Thus, over the past decade, we have developed policies and procedures to respond responsibly in a manner that includes a pastoral focus.
In addition, all members of our community against whom established allegations have been made are covered by restrictive safety plans, and we prominently display sexual abuse information on our website. Saint John's continues to be decticated to working with survivors of abuse. We are committed to doing everything possible to assure that the mistakes of our past are not repeated. Information on safety plans and Saint John's commitment tot he safety of young people can be found at http://www.saintjohnsabbey.org/info/abbey-response-sexual-abuse-allegations/.