Holy Week and Easter 2008
Abbot John and the monks of Saint John's Abbey cordially invite you to celebrate the Easter festival with us in Collegeville.
The monks especially welcome guests to campus overnight at the Abbey Guesthouse.
All services of the monastic community are celebrated in the main sanctuary of the Saint John's Abbey and University Church. Monastic hosts will greet and guide you at the services of the monastic community.
Celebrations of the Saint John Baptist Parish, except for Palm Sunday, are all held in the Parish Center located on Fruit Farm Road, west of Flynntown. Ushers will assist you at the parish's liturgies.
Schedule of Liturgical Services
Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion - 16 March 2008
10:30 a.m. - Eucharist with blessing of the palms. This celebration with the Saint John's Abbey Schola begins in the Great Hall and moves in procession to the abbey church after blessing the branches and reading the Gospel. (Monastic celebration).
Homily by Abbot John Klassen OSB after the reading of the Passion.
Holy Thursday - 20 March 2008
7 p.m. Mass of the Lord's Supper (Parish celebration) in the Parish Center
8 p.m. Mass of the Lord's Supper (Monastic celebration)
Real Media Broadcast Archive:
· Homily by Abbot John (Text)
· Foot-washing ceremony
The Liturgy comes to a close with a procession to the Chapter House during which the Pange Linguais chanted in Latin and English. Tantum Ergo, the final hymn at the altar of repose, concludes the procession.
Night Prayer at 11:45 p.m. closes the period of Eucharistic adoration.
3 p.m. Liturgy of the Lord's Passion (Monastic celebration)
Real Media Archive Broadcast
Holy Saturday - 22 March 2008
7 a.m. Morning Prayer
12 p.m. Midday Prayer
5:30 p.m. Evening Prayer
8 p.m. Easter Vigil (Parish celebration) in the Parish Center
9:30 p.m. Easter Vigil (Monastic celebration)
· Blessing of the new fire and Exsultet in darkness.
· Vigil service of five readings with sung responses
· Abbey bells and Gloria
· Threefold Alleluia with procession
· Proclamation of the Gospel by priest and cantors
· Homily by Abbot John (text)
· Blessing of the font and renewal of Baptismal vows
· At the Preparation of the Gifts the abbey schola chants the Easter Sequence, "Victimae Paschali Laudes" with interludes of trumpet and organ.
· Eucharist and Holy Communion, Communio:Pascha nostrum immolatus est, Gregorian Chant (Mode VI; I Corinthians 5:7-8; Psalm 136).
· Near the end of distribution, the four-voiced men's schola sings "Introit for Easter" by G.R. Woodward (1848-1934) to a tune from 1685 arranged by Philip Ledger.
· Final hymn and recessional for organ and trumpet.
Light refreshments in the Great Hall after the Easter Vigil
Easter Sunday - 23 March 2008
8:30 a.m. Eucharist (Parish celebration) in the Parish Center. Please note that this is the only public Mass on Easter Sunday.
9:30 a.m. Festal Morning Prayer (Lauds)
No Mass today at 10:30 a.m.
12 p.m. Midday Prayer
5:00 p.m. Evening Prayer on Easter Sunday closes the celebration of the Easter Triduum.