The physical plant of Saint John's encompasses the 2,830 acres of woods, lakes and developed inner campus; the facilities on that land; and the utilities above and below ground. The physical plant department maintains and operates substantial portions of this plant.
Br. Linus Ascheman, OSB, Assistant Treasurer, directed the physical plant from 1991 until his untimely death on June 27, 2007. Mr. William Boom is the present Director of Physical Plant.
The Carpentry, Locksmith, and Paint Shops, take care of the basic buildings structure and their accessories. This includes masonry, carpentry, roofs, fixed furniture, locks, keys, hardware, painting, wall finishes, and glass/screen replacements.
The Plumbing, HVAC and Preventive Maintenance Shops, managed by Mr. Gary Jorgensen, specialize in plumbing, heating, air-conditioning, ventilation, sheet metal, temperature control, preventive maintenance, and the steam, water, and waste distribution systems.
The Electrical Shop, managed by Gary Jorgensen handles lighting and power systems, elevators, electronics, fire alarms, electrical control systems, refrigeration, and the electrical distribution system, as well as the voice, data and video cable system.
The physical plant offices are housed on the renovated second floor of a brick building constructed in 1903. It was one of the first buildings on campus designed by Fr. Raphael Knapp, OSB.