Discovering Saint John's Abbey
When using the interactive map, please notice that the directory lists popular
campus destinations. Clicking on these will center the location on the map.
Clicking on the locations marker will call-up location information, as well as
upcoming events at that location.
In the Benedictine tradition of stability of place and reverence of persons, Saint John’s Alumni and Friends Cemetery provides those who feel a connection to Saint John’s with an option for a final resting place – a place that is meaningful and tranquil, in the midst of the woods and lakes of Saint John’s.
Abbey Chapter House
The Abbey Chapter House is primarily used for Chapter meetings of the Saint John's monastic community. Beyond this use, the Abbey welcomes guests to join the community to hear a variety of speakers in the popular Sunday at the Abbey presentations, in addition to other scheduled events, meetings and presentations.
The Abbey and University Church was designed for a complex community made up of Benedictine monks, students of the University, the Seminary and the Preparatory School, a parish attached to the monastery, and visitors. The design of the church was based on the premise that all these members should be allowed closer participation in services.
Monday – Friday
12:00 pm – Midday Prayer
5:00 pm – Mass
7:00 pm – Evening Prayer
11:30 am – Mass
7:00 pm – Vigil of Sunday
10:30 am – Mass
5:00 pm – Evening Prayer
Related Events15 Sep
Collegeville Oblate Chapter Gathering
Oblates gather on the third Sunday of the month at the abbey church for the 10:30 a.m. Mass and meet during the lunch that immediately follows.15 Sep
Collegeville Oblate Chapter Gathering
Oblates gather on the third Sunday of the month at the abbey church for the 10:30 a.m. Mass and meet during the lunch that immediately follows.20 Oct
Collegeville Oblate Chapter Gathering 2
Oblates gather on the third Sunday of the month at the abbey church for the 10:30 a.m. Mass and meet during the lunch that immediately follows. Please contact: Oblate Director 320-363-2018 - firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Benedictine monks of Saint John's Abbey welcome guests of all faiths to experience the abiding presence of God with a praying community. Located in central Minnesota on 2,740 acres of woodlands and lakes, the Abbey Guesthouse provides monastic hospitality to all who call.
Saint John’s Abbey Guesthouse
2380 Water Tower Rd
Collegeville, MN 56321-2015
Related Events01 Jan
Abbey Guesthouse12 Jul
Annual Oblate Retreat
July 12-14, 2013 - The Annual Oblate Retreat is open only to oblates, candidates, and their companions.12 Jul
Annual Oblate Retreat
July 12-14, 2013 - The Annual Oblate Retreat is open only to oblates, candidates, and their companions.
Alcuin Library was constructed along with the Peter Engel Science Center in 1966, and both were designed by the world renowned Bauhaus architect, Marcel Breuer.
Alcuin Library houses a nationally-recognized collection of books which, combined with the collection at Clemens Library at The College of Saint Benedict, provides the largest collection of any private college in the State of Minnesota. The library collections at CSB/SJU are the eleventh largest among liberal arts colleges in the nation.
In addition to its substantial collection of books (3,600 of which are rare books), Alcuin holds 6,500 music scores, nearly 4,000 music recordings, and over 10,000 films in VHS or DVD format. The Library subscribes to 670 print journals. Public computers provide access to 20,000 electronically accessible periodical titles and to more than 15,000 electronic books. Alcuin is open 104 hours a week, with extended hours during exam periods.
The University Archives are housed in Alcuin, and the scholars of the Collegeville Institute have private studies here.
Collegeville Institute for Ecumenical & Cultural Research
The Collegeville Institute for Ecumenical and Cultural Research seeks to discern the meaning of Christian identity and unity in a religiously and culturally diverse world, and to communicate that meaning for the work of the church and the renewal of human community.
Collegeville, MN 56321
2475 Ecumenical Drive
Collegeville, MN 56321
Emmaus Hall/School of Theology Seminary
Saint John's School of Theology·Seminary, rooted in the Roman Catholic and Benedictine traditions and the ecumenical and liturgical heritage of Saint John's Abbey fosters study and prayer in a community of learners.
As a community of faith and hope, we, the faculty, staff, and students of Saint John’s School of Theology·Seminary, worship God and celebrate the life, death, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.
As an academic community relying on the wisdom of the same Holy Spirit, we root ourselves in the Christian tradition, and interpret that legacy in light of the Roman Catholic and Benedictine heritage passed on to us by Saint John’s Abbey with its rich theological, liturgical and ecumenical history.
We commit ourselves to academic, spiritual, pastoral, and professional formation so we might serve the church in lay and ordained ministry and thus use our diverse gifts for the transformation of our world.
We dedicate ourselves to a life-long pursuit of wisdom so we might progress in Christian faith and “run on the paths of God’s commandments, our hearts expanding with the inexpressible delight of love” (Prologue, Rule of Benedict).
Episcopal House of Prayer
The Episcopal House of Prayer in Collegeville is a retreat center on five wooded acres provided by Saint John’s Abbey. The space is available for rent by companies and organizations for meetings and retreats. We also welcome individual retreatants. Come and enjoy our hospitality for a day, a weekend or longer.
The House of Prayer offers retreats throughout the year, focused on our primary ministry of contemplative prayer and spiritual transformation. Facilitators include invited guests such as Cynthia Bourgeault and Martin Laird, OSA, as well as director Ward Bauman. Join us for Holy Week, yoga, one of our wisdom schools or another of our programs.
Great Hall (and Johnnie Bread)
The Great Hall was the first Abbey Church on the Saint John's campus and now serves as a reception hall. It anchors the main Quadrangle, which remains the hub of the campus and was constructed over a couple of decades beginning in 1868. Until Benet Hall was built in 1921, the Quad served as home, church, classroom, and dining room for the monks of the monastery and the students in the prep school and college.
The Abbey Gift Shop is located in the entryway of the Great Hall.
Gift Shop Hours
Monday - Saturday
10 am - 2 pm
HMML & Saint John's Bible
Monday-Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm
Saturdays, May through mid-December 12:00pm – 4:00 pm
HMML houses the world's largest collection of images of manuscripts from Europe, Ethiopia, the Middle East, and India. HMML's teams have been photographing manuscripts since 1965, and the collection now consists of more than 125,000 manuscripts preserved on microfilm and in digital format.
Visit HMML's website at www.hmml.org
The Music Hall and Stephen B. Humphrey Theater is the music department's home on the St. John's campus. The building centers around the 550-seat theater, a space often used for chamber performances, student recitals, and Fine Arts Programming events. The Music Hall is also home to faculty studios, classrooms, an array of practice rooms holding a total of 15 pianos and 3 practice organs, an electronic music lab, percussion studios, the Choral Rehearsal Hall, and the Gertken Organ Studio. The St. John's Boys' Choir and Fine Arts Programming also have their offices in the building.
The mission of Liturgical Press is to publish the Good News of Jesus Christ through various media to deepen the faith and knowledge of a richly diverse church. The work of the Liturgical Press reflects the Benedictine emphasis on hospitality, and the deep commitment of Saint John's Abbey to teaching, learning, and fostering good liturgy and the Catholic Faith. Liturgical Press publications may be viewed in the Liturgical Press Bookstore on the Saint John's Campus, or on line at LitPress.org.
8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. CT, Monday-Friday
Liturgical Press offices are closed for all major U.S. holidays.
Toll Free Phone: 800-858-5450
2950 Saint John's Road
PO Box 7500
Collegeville, MN 56321-7500
For 30 years, the Saint John's Pottery has embodied the Benedictine values of community, hospitality and self-sufficiency as well as the University's commitment to the integration of art and life; the preservation of the environment; the linkage between work and worship; and the celebration of diverse cultures.
Artist-in-Residence Richard Bresnahan and the Saint John's Pottery engage students, apprentices, and visiting artists in the work of artistic creation, discipline, and research and preparation of natural materials. These dynamic experiences are framed by questions of what it means to envision and create a sustainable lived system.
Visitors are welcome in the studio to purchase ceramics and for guided tours. Studio tours include clay and glaze development, preparation and firing of the Johanna Kiln, and exploration of the aesthetic choices that inform the ceramics on display. While the works produced in the studio are art in their own right, they also embody a vision for a more whole world.
The Saint John's Pottery
Collegeville, MN 56321
Saint John's Preparatory School is a Catholic/Benedictine, co-educational, day and boarding International Baccalaureate college preparatory school for students in grades 6-12, with boarding options beginning in the 9th grade. Saint John's Prep is located within the 2,700 acres of beautiful lakes and woods of Saint John's University's campus in central Minnesota.
Saint John's University Dining Services' mission is to provide for all the hospitality needs of the entire St. John's Community in a context that includes courteous, friendly, and helpful people who are willing to adapt to the needs of the customer, and be respectful of the resources available in our community. Our values of integrity, self respect, learning, commitment and service to others guide us in providing outstanding customer service and culinary excellence to the St. John's community.
Monday - Sunday
Breakfast: 7:15 a.m - 10:45 a.m.
Lunch: 10:45 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. (limited menu after 1:30)
Dinner: 4:45 p.m. - 7:15 p.m.
Brunch: 10:45 a.m - 1:30 p.m.
Dinner: 5:00 p.m - 7:00 p.m.
The Sexton Commons campus center was designed by Lee Tollefson of the Rafferty Rafferty Tollefson Lindeke architectural firm of Saint Paul and was constructed in 1992. This student union provides a secondary dining venue for students from Saint John's and from Saint Benedict's. In fact, students have four dining alternatives - the main dining service at Saint John's (the Refectory), the main dining service at Saint Benedicts, Sexton Commons at Saint John's, or O'Connell's at Saint Benedicts. The campus pub is located in Sexton Commons, as are the campus bookstore and student post office.
In addition to several lounges and meeting rooms, the Student Senate is located here, as are the offices of Campus Life and Housing.The bus stop for The Link (the inter-campus bus) is also located at Sexton Commons
Stella Maris Chapel
Dates: 1872; rebuilt 1915; renovated: 1943, 1989, 2007
In 1872 a romantic and picturesque chapel was built across Lake Sagatagan to honor Mary, the Mother of God, under the title of Stella Maris (meaning “Star of the Sea”). Originally it was situated on what was then called Doctor’s Island named after an English teacher (Dr. Aylward) who dropped his glasses on the site. However since the chapel was built, it has been referred to as Chapel Island. The water level was higher at the time making it an island, but it is now only a peninsula approached by a wooden walkway. The original chapel was a small gothic red brick structure 16' by 12' with a white spire. The chapel survived the tornado of 1894, but was burnt down on April 17, 1903, by a lightning strike. For eleven years nothing remained of the chapel except the foundation and underbrush.
In 1915, the young monks of the abbey completed a new Stella Maris Chapel on the same site using red cement block with white stones for ornamentation. Gilbert Winkelmann, OSB, designed a larger Romanesque style chapel with a wooden altar and a steeple as well as a statue of the Blessed Mother. Abbot Peter Engel blessed and laid the corner stone for the chapel on June 13, 1915. But the planned bell in the tower and a fountain with benches for rest and meditation were never completed. Materials for the chapel were brought by sled over the lake during the winter or by horse drawn wagon in the summer. The chapel had been a site of devotion for the monks but, over the years, it suffered from neglect, vandalism and misuse. In 1943, under the direction of Cloud Meinberg, OSB, the stolen corner stone was replaced and the walls were given new strength by the addition of buttresses. The young monks worked all summer to fashion stained glass windows and Cloud sketched on the wall a painting of the Blessed Virgin (which has since faded and disappeared). In 2007, as part of the 150th anniversary of St. John's, Don Hall, SJP class of 1955, financed a somewhat controversial renovation of the chapel.
Sugar Shack/Maple Syrup
The Sugar Shack is the center of the annual Saint John’s Maple Syrup Festival, producing gallons of all natural maple syrup, and inviting participants to join in and learn the entire process of harvesting syrup, from “tapping” trees, collecting sap, and observing the final stages of reduction in the newly outfitted Sugar Shack.