To guard the privacy of all concerned, patrons must apply specifically for permission to use any of the materials. The archivist then makes a decision based on the sensitivity of the materials and the legitimacy of the request, where necessary consulting the abbot.
The permanent holdings of the Saint John's Abbey Archives are available to the public for research under the following conditions:
1. Patrons using the collections in the archives must observe all instructions for the use of archival material.
2. Access to restricted records will be limited to authorized individuals only.
3. For the protection of its collections, the archives reserve the right to restrict the use of materials that are not processed, materials of exceptional value, and fragile materials.
4. Patrons must honor any restrictions placed by donors of private materials.
5. Failure to observe the rules will result in forfeiture of the privilege of using the archives.